Google Mesh WiFi
Want to get up to speed with Google’s latest addition to its consumer-based products? Well you’re in luck today we are running through the key features of the Google Mesh WiFi.
What is Google Mesh WiFi?
It Google’s in-home answer to improving your in home wireless internet connections. In a very easy to manage manner, the Google Mesh WiFi is controlled via an app you can connect to your smart phone and is extremely easy to manage the settings of:
- Who is connected to your WiFi in real time.
- When certain devices can and cannot access the WiFi, this is great for the family home as you can manage your children’s access to the internet.
- Which band (Ghz Output) your WiFi signal is being broadcast on – or you can allow Mesh to do this and it will select the fastest automatically.
- Set up a guest network, great for the interstate relatives who may stay for extended periods. Block and remove suspicious devices connected to your WiFi.
You can control all this from an app on your smart phone in minutes.
We should note that it’s not a replacement for your current router, as you will still require this to work in conjunction with the Google Mesh WiFi, it is simply an amplification of the existing WiFi Signal.
Some of the other bonuses of having the Google Mesh WiFi set up in home include:
- Wireless connection, it just requires a power supply. Connect multiple Google Mesh WiFi devices to increase the amplification around your home of the WiFi signal.
- If you have an outdoor area that normally you lose WiFi signal placing a Google Mesh WiFi in this area will improve the WiFi signal, there.
- Simplifies managing your in-home WiFi Boosts your overall WiFi speeds in home, this is limited by your existing internet plan which you would have set up with your internet provider.
- Built in additional cloud-based security to improve your in-home devices being hacked remotely.
- Automatically places you on the least congested channel when you are connecting a device to your in-home WiFi.
In short it’s a great option if you want to improve your in home WiFi – below are some of the more technical aspects of the Google Mesh WiFi
- AC1200 2x2 Wave 2 Wi-Fi
- Expandable mesh Wi-Fi
- Simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz / 5GHz) supporting IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- TX Beamforming
- Bluetooth® Smart Ready
- Two Gigabit Ethernet ports per Wifi point
- WAN and LAN on primary Wifi point; both act as LAN ports on additional Wifi points
Pricing starts at $199 AUD however this would only include the one unit and for most medium to large homes Google recommend 3 devices, you can see in the image example of how you may layout 3 devices in home to maximise Google Mesh WiFi coverage.You can buy oin directly from Google - Purchase a Google Mesh
They are also available in store from most electronics retailers around the country.
3, Google Mesh Wifi devices are rated to cover a 1,350 Sqm area, however walls such as thick brick, fish tanks and other largein home iterms can impact this as they interrupt WiFi signals. Check out our article on Router placement for some additional information on this.
Lastly setting up the app and placing the devices in home and connecting them to your exsaisting WiFi channels can be a little complicated, so give Geekmobile a call we can have a tech out to you in time at all to set up and test your Google Mesh WiFi and walk you though how to use it in no time. Contact Geekmobile